Atlanta, Georgia, USA, 16 January 2019: ASHRAE recognised the outstanding achievements and contributions of members to furthering energy efficiency in the heating, ventilation, air conditioning and refrigeration industry during the 2019 Winter Conference, the Society announced in a Press communiqué. A list of the awards and their recipients appear below.
Fellow ASHRAE: According to ASHRAE, Fellow ASHRAE is a membership grade that recognises members who have attained distinction and made substantial contributions in HVAC&R, such as education, research, engineering design and consultation, publications and mentoring. The communiqué said the Society has elevated 17 members to the grade of Fellow. They are:
- Fred S Bauman, Life Member, project scientist, Center for the Built Environment, University of California, Berkeley, California.
- Alexander S Butkus, Life Member, retired president and senior principal, Grumman/Butkus Associates, Evanston, Illinois.
- Charles Eley, BEMP, architect/engineer, Eley Consulting, San Francisco, California.
- Kenneth M Elovitz, engineer, Energy Economics, Foxboro, Mass., and, adjunct teaching professor, Worcester Polytechnic Institute, Worcester, Massachussetts.
- Paul W Francisco, senior research engineer, Indoor Climate Research and Training Group, Applied Research Institute, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Champaign, Illinois.
- Hwataik Han, Ph.D., professor, Kookmin University, Seoul, South Korea.
- Yunho Hwang, research professor, University of Maryland, College Park, Maryland.
- Arthur A Irwin, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada.
- James Kamm, Ph.D., Life Member ASHRAE, professor, University of Toledo, Toledo, Ohio.
- Kathleen Owen, owner and air pollution control engineer, Owen Air Filtration Consulting LLC, Cary, North Carolina.
- Gary Phetteplace, Ph.D., Life Member, president, GWA Research LLC, Lyme, New Hampshire.
- Elbert (Bert) Phillips, P. Eng., Life Member, president, UNIES Ltd., Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada.
- Michael A Pouchak, systems architect, Honeywell, Golden Valley, Minnesota.
- Dharam V Punwani, president, Avalon Consulting, Inc., Naperville, Illinois.
- Ginger Scoggins, president, Engineered Designs, Inc., Cary, North Carolina.
- James R Tauby, chief executive engineer, Mason Industries Inc., Hauppauge, New York.
- Philip CH YU, Ph.D., C.Eng., environmental and applications engineering director, Trane Pacific, Hong Kong.
The ASHRAE Technology Awards: According to ASRAE, the ASHRAE Technology Awards recognise outstanding achievements by ASHRAE members who have successfully applied innovative building designs and the first place recipients are:
- Dwight Schumm and Timothy Lentz, design engineers, new commercial buildings category, Indian Creek Nature Center Amazing Space, Cedar Rapids, Iowa. The building is owned by Indian Creek Nature Center. The building representative is John Myers.
- Hiroki Kawakami, Hiroaki Takai, Kazuki Wada and Koji Tanaka, P.Eng., existing commercial buildings category, TAKENAKA Corporation Higashikanto Branch Office Renovation, Chiba City, Chiba, Japan. The building representative is Hiroshi Suzuki.
- John E Tsingas and David S Eldridge, Jr., ebcx commerical buildings category, 801 Grand, Des Moines, Iowa. The building is owned by Principal Financial Group.
- Michael P Sherren, new educational facilities category, Wilde Lake Middle School, Columbia, Maryland. The building is owned by Howard County Public School System.
- Morgan B Heater, existing educational facilities category, Westside School, Seattle, Washington. The building is owned by Westside School.
- David J Meyer, Jaimeeganleong Wilson, Ph.D., BEMP, BEAP, Eric J. LePore and Alfred Rodgers, CPMP, new other institutional buildings category, Koffman Southern Tier Incubator, Binghamton, New York. The building is owned by Koffman Southern Tier Incubator.
- Sarah E Berseth and Scott A Lichty, new public assembly category, Ramsey County Library, Shoreview, Minnesota. The building is owned by Ramsey County Property Management.
- Dominic Desjardins, Eng., Maurice Landry, Eng. and André-Benoît Allard, existing public assembly category, Montréal Olympic Park’s Integrated Performance Contracting Project, Montréal, Québec, Canada. The building is owned by Montréal Olympic Park.
Student Design Competition: According to ASHRAE, the Student Design Competition focused on a new 70,000 square foot (6,500 square meter), four-story mixed use complex north of Istanbul, Turkey.
First place in the HVAC Design Calculations category was awarded to the University of Nebraska – Lincoln, the communiqué said. Team members are Jack Buckley, Madeline Sampsel, Austin Seagren and Christopher Wozny, the communiqué further said.
First place in the HVAC System Selection category was awarded to Kansas State University, the communiqué said. Team members are Kevin J Clark, Madison Hopfinger, Evan Reese, Whitney Luck and Andres Saldivar, the communiqué further said.
First place in the category of Integrated Sustainable Building Design was awarded to an international collaborative team from The Pennsylvania State University (PSU) and Technical University of Denmark (DTU), the communiqué said. PSU team members are William McCann, Salvador Ordorica, Ashutosh Kumar Ojha, Marie Rottschaefer and Siddharth Swaminathan, the communiqué further said. The DTU team members are Vasileios Filis, Myrto Ananida, Oluwatobi Gbadebo and Alexandre Mathieu, the communiqué added.
According to ASHRAE, The Setty Family Foundation Applied Engineering Challenge requires students to plan, develop and enact solutions to sustainability issues in their local or regional areas.
The first place student team from the Bandung Institute of Technology designed a temporary shelter for use by governments, municipalities, and humanitarian agencies in an Eastern European location, the communiqué said. Team members are Iik Wahyu Anggara, Katon Vembriarto Widayaswara, Yoga Hutomo Putra, Mohammad Ilham Akbar and Fahmi Rizaldi, the communiqué further said.
EK Campbell Award of Merit: William P. Bahnfleth, Ph.D., Presidential Fellow Member ASHRAE, received the EK Campbell Award of Merit, the communiqué said. According to ASHRAE, the award honours an individual for outstanding service and achievement in teaching and is presented by the Life Members Club. The communiqué further said that Bahnfleth is professor architectural engineering, The Pennsylvania State University, University Park, Penn.
John F James International Award: Stephen Gill, C.Eng., received the John F James International Award, the communiqué said. According to ASHRAE, the award recognises a member who has done the most to enhance the Society’s international presence. The communiqué further said that Gill is president, Stephen Gill Associates, Nottingham, UK.
ASHRAE Award for Distinguished Public Service: Patricia T Graef, Life Member, Fellow ASHRAE, received the ASHRAE Award for Distinguished Public Service, the communiqué said. According to ASHRAE, the award recognises members who have performed outstanding public service in their community and, in doing so, have helped to improve the public image of the engineer. The communiqué further said that Graef is senior engineer, Munters Corporation, Fort Myers, Florida.
Honorary Member: William Henry Gates, III, was elected as an Honorary Member of ASHRAE, the communiqué said. According to ASHRAE, Honorary Members, elected by the Board of Directors, are defined as notable persons of preeminent professional distinction. The communiqué further said that Gates is founder, Microsoft Corporation, Medina, Washington.
ASHRAE Hall of Fame: George B Hightower was inducted into the ASHRAE Hall of Fame, the communiqué said. According to ASHRAE, the ASHRAE Hall of Fame honours deceased members of the Society who have made milestone contributions to the growth of ASHRAE-related technology or the development of ASHRAE as a society.