Logo - CCME
Digital Issue - CCME

Spotting the mould

Although there are tens of thousands of moulds, it takes a certain kind of mould and a certain kind of person to make one sick, says the article

| | Jul 28, 2016 | 10:05 am
Share this story

According to an article in The Huffington Post, mould is everywhere in homes/buildings, and not every kind of mould can make one sick. The article says that mould is generally easy to spot, due to its distinctive greyish/black/greenish-black in colour, and can be eliminated quite easily, if found early.

Mould generally thrives in warm and wet conditions. The article says that according to the US Center of Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), there are “at least tens of thousands of mould”. The article mentions Robin Wilson, an interior designer who specialises in hypoallergenic homes, who says that “it takes a certain type of mould ― and a certain type of person ― for those spores to actually make you sick”.

While the white, red and orange moulds do not generally cause irritation in humans, the article says that “many types of greenish-black mould, specifically Aspergillus and Cladosporium, can cause stuffy noses, itchy eyes, wheezing or skin irritation in kids or adults with allergies, asthma, weakened immune systems and existing respiratory problems”.

Moulds generally develop in places that are humid or wet, such as around leaky air conditioners, walls that are wet due to rain, leaky faucets, bathroom mats, bathroom tiles, etc.

According to Wilson, if moulds are concentrated in a small space, it can be cleaned up by scrubbing the portion using a cleaning solution consisting of one part bleach to six to eight parts water. If the mould is more severe, Wilson recommends calling for professional help.

Share this story

Feedback for this story

Your email address will not be published.

Sponsored Posts

» Reaching for the skies

As Techem, our work at Cayan validates our lofty capabilities and ambitions


Expo Diaries
Banner - CCGD
Banner - AHRI
Banner – CareersBay